Thursday, March 27, 2014

Avocado & Orange Salad with Sesame Soy Dressing

Avocado & Orange Salad with Sesame Soy Dressing // Loves Food, Loves to Eat
I love to walk. My mom is a walker too. As long as I can remember, Mel has walked 2-4 miles every day, up and down the wooded country road I grew up on. When we were kids, Amanda and I went with her. I would inevitably fall and scrape my knees, which often led to me fainting right there on the side of the road. In addition to being a walker, I�m a fainter.

Avocado & Orange Salad with Sesame Soy Dressing // Loves Food, Loves to EatMy family also went on evening strolls after dinner�up the street a mile, then back down a mile. Sometimes I stopped a few yards before the turn-around spot, and waited. Then, when they got to me, I pretended I was an orphan, and that they found me on the road and were adopting me. I watched a lot of All Dogs Go to Heaven and Annie.

Avocado & Orange Salad with Sesame Soy Dressing // Loves Food, Loves to EatSeattle is a small city, and you can easily go from one end of downtown to the other on foot. I�ve done it plenty of times. I walk from my office to the gym, from my doorstep to the farmer�s market. I have a car and a bus pass, but I just prefer to get around on foot.

Avocado & Orange Salad with Sesame Soy Dressing // Loves Food, Loves to EatLately, with the cherry blossoms blooming like crazy, the temperatures rising, and the sun staying out later and later each evening, I have a strong desire to just get out there and walk. Not to go anywhere in particular, but just to walk. To take in the fresh air and give my computer-strained eyes a break.

Avocado & Orange Salad with Sesame Soy Dressing // Loves Food, Loves to EatI can usually bribe Evan with snack-stops, but he prefers walks that have a destination in mind (I mean, what he actually prefers is driving). The other day, I tricked him into walking across town to my favorite grocery store and back. The sunny walk and the store�s bountiful produce inspired me to make this springy salad with buttery bibb lettuce, red onions, creamy avocados, juicy oranges, umami filled dressing, feta for tang, and almonds for crunch.

Avocado & Orange Salad with Sesame Soy Dressing // Loves Food, Loves to EatEvan, the non-salad lover, even asked for seconds. Maybe it was all that fresh air. I�ll give partial credit to the walk, but you can taste this salad and decide for yourself!

Avocado & Orange Salad with Sesame Soy Dressing
Serves 2

Dressing
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon mustard (I use spicy brown)
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon olive oil 
salt & pepper

Mix ingredients together (either shake in a jar, or whisk in a bowl). 

Salad
1/2 head bibb lettuce, torn into largish bite size pieces
1 orange, peeled and cut into bit size chunks
1 tablespoon diced red onion
Dressing (recipe above)
1 avocado, sliced
1/4 cup almonds, roughly chopped
1/4 cup feta
Fresh ground pepper

Put lettuce, orange, and onion in a bowl, and toss with about half the dressing. Arrange on plates or a platter, and top with avocado slices, almonds, feta, fresh ground pepper, and if desired, more dressing. Note: wait til just before serving to toss dressing with lettuce, to avoid soggy salad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment